Sunday, October 28, 2007

My First Rhinebeck

Well I had a wonderful time at Rhinebeck last week with my friend K. We got up at the crack of dawn, got coffee and headed out. I wanted to get there right when it opened after hearing all the talk baout how crowded it is. We ended up there at about 10 AM (after a few missed turns) and headed immediately to Building A. I pushed through until I found the STR- actually I found the line to The Fold, where the STR was flying off the shelves. We shoved our way in, I grabbed 3 skeins, and waited a modest 10 minutes or so on line to pay. No too shabby. I originally wanted lightweight, but they had already sold out. Apparemntly mediumweight is their bread and butter so that's what I got.



Top to bottom: Mesa (socks for me), Queen Rock (socks for my momsies) and Oregon Red Clover Honey (a design I'm mulling over and will hopefully start creating soon)







Then we went to Brooks Farm. I had read over here about how you can only find them at shows and how great they are. We fondled a lot, but decided to come back after we had scoped out the rest of the place. There was lots of wandering, sampling of cheeses, touching of yummy yarns, thanking the goddess that we don't spin and so could avoid about 1/2 of the booths, eating the famed artichokes (and, thanks to the wonderful girl in line ahead of us, eating a fried pickle) and much more. I picked up some red Morehouse Merino for my coworker for an early Christmas gift. (She's going to make herself some mittens, in case you were wondering)



Then, while over at Briar Rose, I spotted Juno and then The Harlot. They came over to the booth and while my friend joked with them I walked to the side, dug out my camera, and Kinneared The Harlot- or rather, her sweater (which I freakin' love!).



I felt very silly, but sure she would appreciate. I wanted to Kinnear Juno, but she was being mobbed herself in the booth. We had a forgettable exchange filled with my akwardness and then K and I moved on.


After that we headed back to Building A to see Brooks Farm again. I blindly grabbed 4 skeins of Solana, the most soft and squishy superwash I've ever felt, with no pattern in mind but in love with the shades of soft black, grey and browns.



When I got to the register the woman asked me if I liked browns (I was also sporting a brown shirt) and I said "Yes, but the black is my favorite part. If you have any sway with the dyer you should ask her to do some black and grey without the brown. It's gorgeous." All the women behind the counter looked at me and laughed because of course I was talking to the talented dyer herself. I felt like a doof, but it was all good in the end and I left with my stash thuroughly enhanced.




All in all it was a fabulous, sunny day and I had a great time. I can't wait 'til next year!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh thank heavens. I was so afraid that you'd accidentally get my butt in the shot with the Harlot. Phew!

Cari said...

I love that Oregon Clover colorway. I've been coveting it for a while. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it!